YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS for YOUR DOG and YOURSELF
We all want our pets to live long and healthy lives. Our environment has so many unnatural and toxic things that can affect their health. Essential oils can be used to support the body systems to help your dog stay healthy. The most important thing is that you must use the highest quality of essential oils otherwise oils can make your dog sick. There is only one company that I totally trust and that is YOUNG LIVING. Please remember that your vet is the person to go to when there is a problem but many times issues can be solved simply by having the right oils on hand.
Ways to use YL Esssential oils on your dogs.
www.lindseyelmore.com/safety-essential-oils-pets. This is an excellent detailed video on animals and oils from Dr. Lindsey Elmore, PhD in Pharmacy from the University of California San Francisco.
Dogs Naturally Magazine recommends the following oils in first aid and are safe for short-term use:
- Lavender: Universal oil, can use pure or diluted. Can aid with seasonal irritations, skin irritations, car ride anxiety and car sickness.
- Cardamom: Can help normalize appetite, colic, coughs, heartburn and nausea.
- Fennel: Can support the adrenal, pituitary, thyroid and pineal glands.
- Helichrysum: Can reduce bleeding in accidents, supports skin regenerators, nerves cardio vascular systems.
- Frankincense: Supports the immune system and great for the skin.
- Spearmint: Can help to reduce weight. Supports the digestive system and can help balance metabolism.
Precautions about oils:
- Start slowly with the oils. Let dogs come up and smell the oils themselves. Let them experience the aroma before putting the oils on them.
- Always dilute the oils with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil. 1-9 drops of carrier oil to one drop of essential oil.
- Avoid eyes, nose, anal area, and genital areas.
- Use cautiously with puppies under 10 weeks of age and very old dogs or pregnant dogs.
- Avoid these oils on dogs: Wintergreen, thyme, clove, cassia, camphor, and oregano. If used, a dilution rate of 9:1 is necessary for safety.
Here are a few ways that I use the oils:
- Flea and Tick Control: I do not use tradition topical or ingested pills for flea and tick control instead, I make a formula of oils for this. Lavender, Purification, Peppermint and Geranium or Kunzea. You must apply this often, like every time you go out. Oils last about 4-6 hours. These can be used on yourself as well as your pet.
- Minor injury: When a dog gets a cut or if the dog has surgery, I use Melrose and Frankincense oils to help speed up skin recovery.
- Healthy cleaning: Use Thieves Household cleaner. How many times do you smell the residue of the toxic chemical cleaners on your dog crates or items you wash for your dogs? The Thieves Cleaner is a safer and healthier option your dog as well as for yourself.
You will find many ways that oils can be used on your animals online but beware not all sources are trustworthy. Contact me if you want to discuss how you can use the oils on your dog or where to get the oils. There are a couple desk references that you may want to invest in to guide you.
How to get started with Essential Oils: My distributor number for Young Living is #3005264.
The best way to start is with Premium Starter kit. This kit is for humans and can be used also for your dog. It only cost $165 plus tax and shipping. This will save you money to get the oils because you will be able to solve some minor problems without having to rush out to the vet which an office visit alone can cost between $50-115. These oils do not expire so you have them when you need them! You only need a drop or two when you use them. These oils will need to be diluted with a carrier oil, like Olive oil or coconut oil before use on your dog, unlike the Animal Scent line of products which are already diluted for your dog.
If you want to start with the Animal Scents Line of products, you can start with a basic membership which is like a Costco membership of $35 and then you can order the products in the picture at whole sale prices.
Below is the Animal Line of Young Living which contain oils that are prediluted for your dog.